Saturday, May 5, 2012

Elementary School Songs

I went to a Lutheran grade school in Southern California.  There, I sang in the choir (I think we all had to).  As a result, there are times in my life when a tune comes rushing back and I just have to sing it.  We did lots of musicals, I think one a year.  And we sang in church at least once a year.  So here are some of those songs that jump back into my mind every so often.

Everywhere I Go               by Natalie Sleeth, 1975

VERSE 1: Everywhere I go, the Lord is near me.  If I call upon him, he will hear me.  Never will I fear for the Lord is near, Everywhere I go.

VERSE 2: In the dark of night should things alarm me, ever in his sight no ill may harm me.  I will be of cheer, for the Lord is near, everywhere I go.

BRIDGE: He is with me day by day, He will be my strength and stay.   From His path I will not stray but follow in His way.

VERSE 3: In the coming days of joy or sadness, I will praise his name with songs of gladness, for to me it's clear that the Lord is near, everywhere I go.

Repeat verse 1

Here's the tune (except this version does not include the bridge.)



Cherry Tree Chop
We did the musical "Let George Do It" one year, and I don't remember much from it, but the lines "cherry tree chop, chop chop" and "Thaaaat's cooperation" pop into my head randomly from time to time.  I actually found a link to all the words of the entire musical.  Here it is:  Let George Do It .  I also found a youtube video of another school performing the first part of it.  Here ya go.

Welcome to the Family  by Psalty / Kids' Praise
We sang this song to welcome Pastor Blanke and his family to our church.
Here's a youtube link to listen to it.

Welcome to the family
We're glad that you have come
To share your life with us
As we grow in love and
May we always be to you
What God would have us be
A family always there
To be strong and to lean on.

(refrain)

May we learn to love each other
More with each new day, may words of love be on our lips
In everything we say
May the spirit melt our hearts
And teach us how to pray....
That we might be a true family.
(repeat)

Like the Gentle Rain           by Mary Lynn Lightfoot
My BFF and I sang this song as a duet at some point in elementary school.

Like the gentle rain
nourishes the flowers,
like the gentle rain
helps tiny rivers grow,
Like the gentle rain falling from above us,
we are nourished by God’s love.

Our hearts and our souls thirst for God’s wisdom and love, which like gentle rain God sends from above. We’re each very special in God’s loving sight. The Lord is our shepherd, let us follow in His light.

Like the rain feeds all the flowers,
like the rain helps rivers grow.
Like the rain falls from above.
We are nourished by God’s love.

Down By The Creek Bank
This is another one of the musicals we did as a whole elementary school.
Here's a youtube link to another church group performing it.



....fun times!

3 comments:

  1. Thankyou so much - we sang 'Everywhere I go' as a family a lot when I was little and I'm really glad to find all the words here (I don't think I've heard it anywhere else). The fact that God was with us anywhere and everywhere was especially impressed on us because as the children of missionaries in those days there was no choice but to live at a school in a neighbouring country for several months at a time. It became a precious favourite family song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. There is a second part which can be sung along with the whole song (with different words based on the main lyrics but shorter), which makes it extra beautiful. Does anyone have those words and music?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon this awhile ago when I was looking for this song (Everywhere I Go) and I too sang it in the choir of my Lutheran school (in So Cal too). At the time we sang this one of my grandmothers was very ill and my mom was gone a lot, so the words really stayed with me- they’re simple, sweet and true. I wanted to contact the author and tell her what the song meant to me through the years but she passed away some time ago. I’m glad you wrote about this!

    ReplyDelete